Unable to build for iOS

Completely unable to use iOS in any capacity.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new project,
    • Choose “New game”
    • Pick Windows and iOS
  2. touch nothing and open IDE
  3. Set iOS as startup
    (Macbook already configured)
  4. Run

Scenario 1 Simulator:
Build completes. Exception is thrown app launches: "Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: "

Scenario 2 iPad:
1st run: “Could not register the assembly ‘OpenTK-1.0’: error MT4118: Cannot register two managed types (‘OpenTK.Platform.iPhoneOS.CADisplayLinkTimeSource, OpenTK-1.0’ and ‘OpenTK.Platform.iPhoneOS.CADisplayLinkTimeSource, OpenTK-1.1’) with the same native name (‘OpenTK_Platform_iPhoneOS_CADisplayLinkTimeSource’).”

Consecutive runs: “Internal error: the static registrar should not execute unless the linker also executed (or was disabled). A potential workaround is to pass ‘-f’ as an additional mtouch argument to force a full build. Please file a bug report with a test case (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com).”

if it’s of any relevance my visual studio version is
Visual Studio Community 2017 - 15.9.7
I humored the thought of running a vanilla Xamarin project and that ran just fine on the iPad.

I really hope there is a simple solution to this cause i can’t wait to ditch Unity3D

Simulator is not supported. You need a Mac.

Thanks for the timely response. Using the Simulator was merely for covering “what have i tried”.
Finally i did use a Mac, setup is High Sierra (10.13.6) on 192.168.0.165 paired with Visual Studio on my Windows machine, it’s already set up with “Remote Login” and xcode. (i actually rtfm)
I hooked up an ipad too, that would be an iPad Pro (mp6g2zp/a) running iOS 11.2.6
I connect the iPad on the usb (on mac) and it will show in Visual Studio. (exactly like Xamarin does it)
When i click run it will build for some time and finally turn up the errors described in “Scenario 2”

Unfortunately I have almost no experience with Mac or iOS. Which version (official, build from github source, version number) of Xenko are you using?

Looks like there is a dependency issue where two different versions of OpenTK are used.

and iOS is honestly a nightmare to deal with.
Even after you cough up the 5000$ down payment for license and mac computer you’d still need to fight with the PITA code signing. So i don’t blame the team for not putting up with it.
I don’t remember the version i was using, and i already got rid of it. Rolling with Xamarin and UrhoSharp altho they aren’t as rich as Xenko. Maybe next year.

Edit: I had done a fresh checkout, so whichever version was the newest at the time of posting.

Hello back again. Deeply regret having touched Xamarin. So i gave Xenko another shot before rolling with Unity3D.

I checked out the newest version. It was 3.1 beta something. I get the OpenTK error message as before

I checked out version 3.0.0.8 and i was actually able to deploy the game on the iPad. This is great news.

Now there is a little issue. There is an x2/x1 button in the corner of the screen, and the app is not in fullscreen. So i tried poking around in the “info.plist” and switched from iPhone/iPos to Universal. And i did get it to fullscreen and abolish that pesky button.

Next issue though

Aspect? I guess.
Resolution is also wrong? The image is huge, (as per the device rez) but if you look closely you can see it’s completely wrong.

this is 100% zoom by the way
pick

My guess it what is happening is the Width and Height being flipped in some parts. Does anyone know about this?

notes:

1. Switching from Universal to iPad got same result
  2. Enabling orientations is not a good idea because upon rotating you get this exception: “Depth buffer is not the same size as the render target”. Whatever, locked landscape is fine.
  3. Lastly, the installer is awfully slow. No progress bar, it’s just spinning for an hour or more. We seriously need alternative ways to download the packages.
1 Like