[Solved] 3D workflow with blender

Hi,

I am totally new to 3D modelling. I try to get my models from blender (V2.75) into PStudio which works ok when I export to .obj and only use one texture and only one “object” within blender. The imported model has a default material added and I can then load the texture image as a separate asset and apply it to that default material and for whatever magic reason the whole UV-mapping I did in blender works perfectly fine (happy me).

What’s not working is when i split the model into multiple “objects” within blender (i guess it’s just separate meshs, whatever you’d call that) using individual materials. PStudio imports them nicely as one model and I can see all the separate objects as nodes in the model’s property panel. However the whole model only has one material assigned and I can’t figure how to add any extra materials to the model. I also don’t understand the meaning of the checkboxes behind each node, here is an example:

I’ve been browsing 3D tutorials and file format infos for quite a while now, however they don’t translate too well to the blender->PStudio process for me. Could anyone share their insights with me on what is the supposed way of getting a model using multiple materials from blender to paradox?

BTW, importing blender files directly doesnt work for me, I always get errors like this:
[AssimpAssetImporter Importer]: Error: Unexpected exception while importing file [P:/Test/Blender/cube.blend]. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SiliconStudio.Paradox.Assets.Model.ModelAssetImporter.Import(UFile localPath, AssetImporterParameters importParameters)
at SiliconStudio.Assets.AssetImportSession.Stage(Nullable`1 cancelToken)

Thank you

So I fiddled around some more and found an alternative that works perfectly fine for me:

In Blender 2.75, I export to .fbx. The important part here is to change the version in the export options to the Ascii format (the default setting is 7.4 binary which for me produces issues on import):

I also scale by x100 to get about one grid unit in Paradox for about one grid unit in blender, but that may have to do with locales and what have you, so your mileage may vary.

Everything else in the export panel I leave at default.

In Paradox Studio I select the fbx for import and I get a complete textured model with all the neccessary sub-assets (materials, textures), everything ready to go, awesome :slight_smile:

So for anyone else just starting out you might wanna give it a go this way.

I still find the vast amount of 3d file formats and their contents and options quite overwhelming and the bits and pieces I pick up from all the web sources, none of them fall into place yet, haha, but yeah well, for now it just works.

Paradox ftw :thumbsup: