Game Studio kills my Graphic Card on Windows 10

Every time I use Xenko Game Studio on Windows 10 and working hard on a scene for my new game, such as adding textures, changing material properties, adding light and so on. After a while my graphic card shows artifacts on the screen and crashes the whole system. Nvidia GTX580, Dual Xeon System, Windows 10 with latest Xenko version.

Any idea? I’ve searched also the system logs but there are no entries.

Hi killingfields, thank you for the feedback.

Xenko Studio can be quite demanding in term GPU power (more than the game itself).
Consequently, we suspect that your problems might simply come from the following causes:

• overheating of your graphic card
  • power supply unit not powerful enough
  • old drivers

In order to help us to clearly identify the cause of the problem could you:

• tell us if you ever experienced similar problems when using other GPU heavy software (like games)
  • give us some screenshots of the artifacts that are appearing
  • tell us the version of your drivers and the capacity of your power supply unit
  • perform some stress test benchmark for your GPU and tell us the result

Also note that we will release Xenko 1.6 in a very few weeks.
This update will contain a complete graphic engine refactor that should improve overall graphic performances.
This may also solve the problems that your are facing now with the editor (if not let us know).

Hi Xenux,

many thanks for your answer, but I think the issue comes from Xenko Studio

• overheating of your graphic card

I use software like Modo 902, Shade3D, Shiva 3D Game Editor, Carrara, Photoshop etc. the whole day and all works fine.

• power supply unit not powerful enough

The power supply has 1000 VA

• old drivers

The GeForce driver has the build version 361.75 and a release date 2016/01/27.

• tell us if you ever experienced similar problems when using other GPU heavy software (like games)

Nop, games such as Arkham City, Rage, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider etc. work fine over hours.

• give us some screenshots of the artifacts that are appearing

Small white squares randomly placed all over the screen -> mouse cursor stopped working -> automatically reboot of the system.

• perform some stress test benchmark for your GPU and tell us the result

I’ve tested the GPU with 10 minutes FurMark Test (OpenGL) from Geek3D - nothing crashed. Test runs by 1920x1080 with 49 fps. Score: 2948 points.

Hi killingfields,

Thank you for the precision and the investigation.
It actually looks like there is a problem with the Xenko Studio itself.

By any chance do you have a simple way to reproduce the problem? (we never experienced the problem on our side)
If not, it would be good to see Xenko 1.6 (arriving soon) fixes the problem as it will greatly modify the way we perform the graphic calls in Xenko.

1 Like

As far as I know, Xenko Studio is built on WPF. I had several issues with WPF applications when I manually force-enabled anti-alias or other settings like texture filtering in my AMD control panel. Maybe you did such settings in your nVidia control panel.

Most prominently, Visual Studio bugged up, showing artifacts or completely black window regions, though it never crashed my PC. I reset my AMD control panel to use the application defaults and could work flawlessy again.

You say it right! You use AMD not Nvidia! So what is your solution?

Go to the AMD Radeon Settings and reset the global graphics settings to default.

I know it is very complicated for you to understand, but I use not an AMD Radeon card! So I have no AMD Radeon Settings which I can set to default.