Custom post processing effect with depth

Im looking for a way to implement my own post processing effect that uses the depth buffer. Color transforms only give me the color but not the depth of the current frame. The post processing class isnt extendable so i would have to write my own post processing stack.
is there an easier way around this? for just playing around with custom effects this seems a bit much work.

interesting, i have a related question, how to draw correctly into the render targets to get effects from the SSAO post fx. does it need normals in the GBuffer?

Xenko’s post-processing pipeline is a monolithic nightmare. That’s the best you’ll get for now.
I did some work in the past that allowed effects to be added and rearranged in the node editor, however it was never merged.

The post processing is definitely not great if you want to do anything it doesn’t already want you to do. but its also not that much code. I dont think it would take long to make your own post processing stack and adapt the effects they made to work order independent. its just that i dont have that much time and i want to mostly experiment with some things. I started a project on godot and i plan to migrate an there its even worse

1 Like

i will also need that at some point… let me know if you start to work on it. would be go to get something similar to this:

I dont have a lot of time at the moment so for now i only had plans to make a concept that works for what i need now but not to port existing post fx to it. But i would want to do that eventually if id decide to stay with xenko.
And what do you mean with similar to the render feature? I dont really see the connection between post fx and a custom render feature.

Yes, as we both already pointed out. Are you low-key asking us to do it for you?

What did you point out? I already did what i currently need last night. My original question was more towards already existing solutions which it turned out there are none but its quite easy to do yourself. The stack already works for my post fx but not for the ones Xenko provides. @tonfilm asked me if id share what i have once its done which i would do if there is a need for it. I am not really sure what you mean.

1 Like

I was replying to your following message:
The post processing is definitely not great if you want to do anything it doesn’t already want you to do. but its also not that much code. I dont think it would take long to make your own post processing stack and adapt the effects they made to work order independent. its just that i dont have that much time and i want to mostly experiment with some things. I started a project on godot and i plan to migrate an there its even worse

Basically you reiterated what you already mentioned in the original post. You’re mentioning how you don’t have time but want this feature. This led me to believe you want us to implement it for you.