Concept request - customizable in-game displays: How to approach?

Hi. In my planned game I wish to have player-controlled displays where the user can choose what to display. I am trying to determine what the best approach to solving this problem is.

Each display would, due to the nature of the game universe, be rather low-resolution (think very early computer screen), Also there could be a limited amount of displays visible at any one time but exactly what this limit is depends on how performance and resource intensive the techniques are.

I would like to be able to display text and custom-defined glyphs at least, a low-resolution, low fps camera feed at best. I know I could use a render-target texture for this but I don’t know how to do this without having a separate texture for each display and that would quickly become too much.

I know I am being vague but although I am an experienced programmer I haven’t been doing much game programming. Feel free to ask for more details if needed.

What I am looking for are concepts, not necessarily functional code examples (although I would obviously not be ungrateful for those ;)).

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie.