Xenko: help us find a new name/logo for the engine! (if we have to rename)

I’d say this is the right sort of thinking, rather than random words.

1 Like

Yes, starting with the strengths of xenko and finding names from that sounds like a good approach.
so we have as inspiration:

• modular nuget distribution
  • original c#/.NET, scripts and engine live in the same world
  • original .NET tooling for build
  • high fidelity shaders
  • native visual studio support
  • use any third party nuget in your game code
  • cross platform runtime
  • completely open source
  • MIT license
  • was commercially developed by worldclass engineers

who has more?

If you’re still looking for contributions I have some concepts for a name and logo I could put together. Has anything been decided yet?

Nothing is set in stone yet, feel free to contribute !

OK, I put some ideas together. Brief and rough, as I don’t want to spend too much time on it unless there is some interest. I’ve put it on Canva, link below.

Let me know what you think.

Xardox rough draft

1 Like

Ceyx
not very related with the original name but I liked the story behind it, it is short, it hasnt so many results on google and it keeps the letter “X” (and the “e” for sure) which can differ by the others (size/color/type).

1 Like

Pursuing the same idea, of C#, sharpness, and combining lettering with the symbol: Cimitar

cimitar

1 Like

I’ll also leave this here, it’s done with an AI name generator at https://namelix.com/

Just enter some keywords you associate with the engine and set the naming constraints. I’ve did it a few times and these are the ones I favorited. I think it’s not a final solution, but rather an inspiration…

1 Like

Another iteration of Cimitar.

Are all available… xensharp.com can be had for $10… just sayin’

Hap

I grabbed cimitar.org and xardox.org, just in case. I’ll donate them and sign over to the project if wanted, of course.

I wouldn’t worry too much about dotcoms for opensource projects these days. Many major projects have only the dotorg (including Blender and Godot), which is all that’s really needed. In theory someone could attempt some funny business with the dotcom, but in practice, once a project is well-established, it’s barely a problem.

2 Likes

I’m compiling the list of names, if you still want to submit yours now is your last chance to do so !

I’ll start the voting process sunday around 8am UTC, If you want your submissions to be included you’ll have to submit it before then !
Here’s the current list:
Animage Engine
Astria Engine
Breal Engine
C#OSGE (C# Open Source Game Engine)
Deceit Engine
Demorgan3D
Distic Engine
Dragonhouse Engine
Enna Engine
Finity Engine
Fractolis
Gale Engine
Genial Engine
Genios Engine
Graphm Engine
Hades Engine
Isonix Engine
Ivaldi Engine
Kotanto
LunaSharp
Magician’s Engine
Nurento
Posity Engine
Rander Engine
Reconnect Engine
SeaShark Engine
Sparce Engine
Stride Engine
Synus Engine
Tonal Engine
Ultrack Engine
Ultrarack Engine
Unic Engine
Uxen Engine
Valvolt
Xamework
Xandu Engine
Xardox Engine
Xenar Engine
Xenesis Engine
Xenial Engine
Xenkara
Xenos Engine
XenSharp
Xensphere
Xentaka
Xiphoid Engine
X-Ram Engine
Zellim
Zulu Engine

1 Like

You seem to have missed Cimitar off the list, if you could please include it.

Could I suggest that we don’t proceed on a straight vote on a list of names? Bear in mind that we’re not merely choosing a name, but a brand. Typically one would not start by picking from a list of names alone, but look at those names in the context of a logo, and a brand concept.

I think it would be a good idea to invite others to put forward brand and logos ideas (along with the name), before we make a choice. Picking a name in isolation, and then trying to attach a logo and concept to it is not really the way to go, IMO.

hello,

i think the name should be quite “mainstream”… let me explain.

if you look at other/similar company names like unity, unreal engine, blender, maya, cinema 4d, houdini, … one can see, that they have some things in common:

• easy to spell (and so to remember)
  • mostly non-artificial (these are real words)
  • tech/tool related (cinema is a good example, since it’s a tool that can be used to make movies)
  • most of the names are lucky finds (a common word, that is not used very often [in that context]

a more mainstream or common name would also reflect xenkos current goals:

• being now open-source -> welcome and include everybody in opposition to a relatively small target group
  • xenko wants its community to grow -> targeting a maximum big group won’t work with a name that targets a small and nerdy niche.

i totally agree, that focusing and emphasizing only few core features is key. i think that open-source and c# are the most important ones that also distinguish from the competitors. so i like proposals like @jdee s The C# engine tagline or names that go into the same direction like opengine that @tonfilm posted.

last, i think this re-naming is a really big and important decision that should not be chosen in a hurry. best would be to consult a design studio or similar that has experience in branding and naming.

sorry for being late to the naming party and of course, this is just my 2 cents and i’m not an english native speaker.

3 Likes

Here is my logo mashup for the SeaShark engine.
Lots of wordplay going on:

• Sound close to C#
  • The sea waves in the logo are formed to the letter C.
  • Sharks have sharp teeth
  • the open sea | ‘open sea’ shark engine

3 Likes

I’m liking SeaShark and the logo concept. Memorable, and the pun + similar word sound works well.

Could be a problem with existing software with that name, though.

1 Like

@sebl I doubt that xen has the funds necessary to do this kind of thing so unless someone proposes it that won’t be feasible.
The biggest engine didn’t rely on that kind of services either, and to be frank they actually have pretty terrible names (unreal engine and cry engine are kind of cringe worthy names, godot doesn’t have much to do with game dev’, it’s just a reference to either a microsoft release code or a play), I’m sure it could help but I don’t think we have a choice here.
As for the rest of your point, definitely, I’ll include a short description of what the user should look for when voting at the top of the poll.

@jdee @sebl
How about using the voting process to filter out names, use the top 10 or top 5 for logo design proposal and pick the best from there, how does that sound to you ? This should resolve a couple of issues that you have with this process.

Or would you rather want us to postpone this ? We really have to do it soon as more time passes and the worse it’s going to get for seo, tutorials and co. 23 days passed since xen made that announcement but if you feel like this is too soon I’ll cancel it for now.

@jdee
Thank you for catching that issue with SeaShark, @Aggror I can’t accept the name as it is but you should be able to find a similar pun by changing a couple of words ?

Sorry I didn’t specify why certain submissions could not be included:
Excluded Submissions:

• Xenomorph Engine:
    • Even if the usage is different and that word is fairly common, let’s stay clear of any potential copyright issues here.
  • DDNX (DDNX is Definitely Not Xenko):
    • Again no point in taking risks here, this name still ‘contains’ xenko.
  • Ceyx Engine:
    • Fairly obvious why.
  • Cimitar Engine:
    • Very close to Scimitar, the previous name of AnvilNext which is Ubisoft’s main engine.
    • While this won’t result in any copyright dispute let’s avoid any confusion.
  • Xenia:
    • Already used by an xbox emulation project.
  • Solaris Engine:
    • Solarus is an ARPG engine.
  • Glimpse:
    • It’s a diagnostic platform and a text indexing algorithm.
  • Unium Engine:
    • Unium is a video game.
  • X-Byte Engine:
    • X-Byte is an application development company.
  • SharpEngine:
  • OGEN:
  • Focus Engine:
  • TEngine:
  • D6 Engine:
  • Astra Engine:
  • Infinity Engine:
  • Synengine:
  • Xanadu Engine:
  • Quantum Engine:
  • Lambda Engine:
  • Ultimate Engine:
  • SEngine:
  • OPEngine:
  • Formation Engine:
  • Genius Engine:
  • Synergy Engine:
    • Domain name(s) already taken.
1 Like

I’d just like to echo Sebl’s comments about a name being ‘mainstream’. Really no offence intended but most of the suggested names here are awful. Obscure, nerdy, clumsy and uninviting. The name needs to feel accessible to people beyond niche circles of interest. That’s why Unreal and Unity work so well. The name doesn’t need to be clever, novel, or contain a complex reference to some historical quality unimportant to most people.

I suggest solid, friendly, grounding and dare I say it, generic as more fruitful adjectives for a successful name. Sorry I offer no suggestions here for what one may be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t vote for them when the time to do so comes then, that’s what most people will do so I don’t really see how that could be an issue ?

1 Like