Can't start xenko from launcher

hey there, i downloaded the launcher, installed 3.1 and clicked on start and i got the following error:

Could not find a compatible version of MSBuild.
Check that you have a valid installation with the required workloads, or go to www.visualstudio.com/downloads to install a new one.
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build, Version=15.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Microsoft.Build, Version=15.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' at Xenko.Core.Assets.PackageSessionPublicHelper.CheckMSBuildToolset() at Xenko.GameStudio.Program.<Startup>d__12.MoveNext() in D:\BuildAgent\work\8cafb933a54b01d0\sources\editor\Xenko.GameStudio\Program.cs:line 241
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

I got visual studio 2017 installed on another drive than c: msbuild 15 is also there and added to the path. so just an msbuild command works perfectly but i dont know whats missing. any ideas ?

How did you install in on another location? Did you do that manually, or used the official installer?
Do you have the latest version?

what do you mean how ? visual studio installer lets you choose. all the latest updates installed. all the .net framework versions installed even .net core each version. c++ also. every requirement is installed. it somehow can not find msbuild.

do you have visual studio 2019 preview installed?

The problem was visual studio installed in another drive than c. Solved it by installing vs on Drive C. Should be looked into though

2 Likes